Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!


It has been quite some time since my last posting. I apologize to those die-hard blog followers who may be checking the site with frequency. December was very busy and wonderful. Daegu had it's first snowfall. While most of the students are on holiday, my school offers Winter English Camps. I've been going to work as usual, but I am given a wider margin to have fun with the students and serve up English education more flavor and entertainment.
Speaking of flavor, this was lunch on New Years Day. Fish and sprouts. I read on the BBC news health webpage that a diet heavy in vitamins and fish will help to slow the aging process both mentally and physically. As for the aging process, my 24th birthday is this Friday. I will spend the morning teaching English, and then I have plans to have a nice dinner with coworkers and friends. After dinner, maybe hit the bowling alley. More details to come.
A fun place for the ex-patriot crowd to hang out. The cafe/bar is called BuytheBook. It's situated in the Daegu city center, and it's filled with novels and newspapers and magazines from the western world (mostly written in English). They also have a nice selection of board games. Sometimes they have live music or poetry readings. It's a very cool spot to unwind.
This is Korean frozen lake sledding. We took a field trip just outside the city with the students for a day of frozen boogers and cold fingers.
I made a trip to the Daegu art museum with some friends. The exhibits are very...artistic. As for me, I am something of a gourmand (the opposite of gourmet) when it comes to art museums. I walked around and looked at paintings and sculptures and said "hmmm" or "ahh." My favorite part of the trip was the Korean piano/cello duet playing in the museum's main atrium.
So for the christmas holiday, I visited my friend Lucy in Yeongyang. She is on the right in the the photo, next to my other friend Marlene. Lucy has a large apartment, which is more like a cottage all to herself. She has a loft, so we crammed about 16 people into her house for some holiday merriment.
This included Christmas caroling, a secret Santa gift swap, a potluck dinner, and some toasting.
On the afternoon of Christmas eve, we checked out a pingpong gymnasium.
This was our holiday spread. While my original plan was to bake lasagna, nobody really has ovens in Korea. Also finding Ricotta (or ANY good cheese for that matter) is difficult. I made the steamed carrots and the mashed potatoes.
Secret santa swap in front of the tiny tree. My friends Simone (purple) Dirk (Santa hat) Barrington (white hoodie) and Sarah (grey hoodie). Silly as it may seem, I both gave and received a bottle of wine during secret santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment